Bridgewater (Va.) College’s Forum for Brethren Studies and the Kline-Bowman Institute for Creative Peace-building will host a 2017 symposium, “Anabaptist Non-Resistance in the Age of Terror.”
In this issue: Remembering Stewart Kauffman, job openings, Nigeria Crisis Response continues to collect books for Nigeria, BBT open enrollment for insurance services, Children’s Sabbath resources, church anniversaries, district conferences, Bread for the World comments on statements released by presidential candidates about hunger and poverty, CPT team visits Standing Rock Sioux Reservation, Friends with the Weather, and more. […]
1) ‘Risk hope’ is a recurring chorus: Annual Conference moderator shares monthly reflection
2) Hurricane Matthew update: Mission staff to assess damage in Haiti, BDM monitors Florida
3) Disability ombudsman serves at the Church of the Brethren Annual Conference
4) Atlantic Southeast holds 10th Annual Family Peace Camp
5) Christian, Muslim leaders agree to stand against religious extremism
6) October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month
7) Bridgewater College to hold symposium on ‘Anabaptist Nonresistance in Age of Terror’
8) Brethren bits […]
Throughout October, congregations are encouraged to raise awareness about the serious problem of domestic violence. Activities may include providing members with information through a bulletin insert (available at www.brethren.org/family/domestic-violence.html ); creating a bulletin board with facts about domestic violence; publicizing the National Domestic Violence Hotline: 800-799-SAFE (7233) and 800-787-3224 (TDD); hosting a speaker from a local domestic violence shelter or the YWCA; and remembering in prayer people who have been affected by domestic violence.
Atlantic Southeast District held its 10th Labor Day Weekend Family Peace Camp at Camp Ithiel, Fla., on Sept. 2-4. The theme for the camp was “Pathways to Inner Peace.” The resource leaders were pastor Belita and Don Mitchell from Harrisburg, Pa. Belita Mitchell, a former Annual Conference moderator, provided the focus for the five sessions, while Don Mitchell provided meaningful and stirring music.
The 14th NOAC is being billed as “Inspiration 2017” with the theme “Generations” (Psalm 145:4). Dates are Sept. 4-8, 2017, at Lake Junaluska (N.C.) Conference and Retreat Center. […]